Alternative engines on Ransomes Crawlers

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Alternative engines on Ransomes Crawlers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I’m in need of a Ransomes crawler to use on our smallholding. I would ideally like something original but as I want it for work it does not need to be original.

I have seen a few crawlers with non-original engines fitted (such as the Petter on the cover of the latest magazine), and was wondering if anyone had any photos, or advice on what to fit? I’m thinking an older slower revving diesel as I assume this would have similar characteristics to the original engine.

Many thanks

ransomes256
    Participant

If you plan to regularly use the tractor I would suggest the MG5 or MG6 would be better choice due to availability of running spares. A modern replacement engine such as a Lomdardini Diesel is a good plan (especially if you want electric start) but to retain the centrifugal clutch you need to be able to get a slow idle. The original engines although small were long stroke and high torque.
    If yo are successful in getting a machine contact me for spares and info.
    Neil

expeatfarmer
    Participant

My neighbour has done the same thing, he has an MG5 to which he has fitted a chinese single cylinder electric start diesel engine, he uses the machine for raking horse paddocks and general trailer work.He also pulls a big Cambridge roller behind it.

premier
    Participant

I have for sale a single cylinder Diesel engine that will fit a Ransomes, it’s a Lombardini bit unfortunately is hand crank not electric start.
    You can come and have a look and see if this is something you are interested in.

Jonathan

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

have a honda on my mg2

dave
    Participant

How about some machine numbers for these MG’s for the
    Ransomes register please.
    Dave.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.