Allen Scythe Wheels Model T

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Allen Scythe Wheels Model T

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Another, I suspect simple question, but how do you get the wheels off? I’d like to replace the exhaust and change the tyres, both of which seem easier with the wheels off. I’ve removed a small screw on the outside boss, with an allen key, but what next?

vhgmcbuddy

Getting the wheels off can be a total pig of a job

Yes undo the grub screw. The key way needs to be pulled out in which most cases has been knocked in to far in the past!! I bet yours will be the same. I have been known to smash off the cast part which you have removed the grub screw from. Yes I did have some spares!!

You can get the exhaust off with out removing the wheel but if not then easier to remove the engine

Just jack up the machine to change tyres if you cant get the wheels off. They to can be harder than hard to remove. Have your swear box at the ready!! Again I have cut plenty off in the past

Good luck!

Chris

vhgmcbuddy

Chris,

Thank you very much, advice very much welcomed! I’ll have a go and see what I can do!

I did look at the tyres and was contemplating cutting them off as, you’re right, they are pretty tight all round.

Will keep me busy for a few hours!!

Best wishes,

Tony

ted20
    Participant

if it is a two stroke engine a trick I have done for tyre removal, turn machine on its side then use a suitable size piece of angle iron place on bead of tyre and hit it with hammer after first removing valve from tyre

vhgmcbuddy

Ted,

Many thanks; will give it a go!

Tony

vhgmcbuddy

Chris,

Thank you too; all good info!

Tony

vhgmcbuddy

Sure I have 2 brand new tubes if you need them. Guessing you will as most of the time you will destroy the old ones getting them out!!

Where are you based? I am in West Sussex if you get stuck

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.