Allen Mayfield with Briggs & Stratton 7hp

Home Forums General Help and information Allen Mayfield with Briggs & Stratton 7hp

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Does anyone have a manual for an 1972 Allen Mayfield scythe? I have info for the engine, which is a Briggs & Stratton Aluminium L-Head (170000 Series), but have never been able to obtain any info for the actual machine itself. I particularly need to know the correct oil grade for the 3 speed gearbox and any other bits of the machine which require lubrication. I think the number on the makers plate is MB1391. The cutter head is driven by a pair of V belts.

Thanks,

Sean

charlie
    Keymaster

The Museum of English Rural Life (MERL) at Reading have a collection of Mayfield information and factory records. It may well be worth contacting them to see if they have what you want.

vhgmcbuddy

I took your advice Charlie and contacted MERL. Unfortunately, they were not able to find any information on my Allen Mayfield scythe. It could be that I have read the serial number wrong, as the plate is badly corroded. If anyone else owns such a machine, could you confirm if the format of my serial number (two letters followed by 4 digits) is likely to be correct?

On the plus side, they dated my Allen scythe to 07/05/1969, being delivered to a Mountain & Sons Ltd.

merlinkeeper109
    Participant

Yes your’s should start MB then the serial number if you can post numbers I’ll try and date it for you
    MB denotes briggs & stratton engine
    MK kohler engine
    MV Villiers engine (there were only 10 of these made)

vhgmcbuddy

Number is MB1391.

merlinkeeper109
    Participant

MB 1391 sold to Thompson of Beverly LTD 12/2/1974

vhgmcbuddy

Many thanks for the info. It looks like the machine hasn’t travelled far as I’m only 30 miles from Beverley.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.