Advice required – steep drive

Home Forums General Help and information Advice required – steep drive

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi all, We have a steep drive at our house and most deliveries are at the bottom. The delivery lorries do not fancy trying out the drive most of the time, as the drive is quite bad, with some gravel and dirt. We get lots of rain which affects the drive too, making it very slippery underfoot. All our post, logs, coal etc is delivered to the bottom of the drive and I have to manually wheelbarrow it up. I also have bad knees.
    I would like to buy something to help me carry stuff up our drive. It doesn’t need to carry/pull more than 50Kg and doesn’t need to go faster than walking pace. I have discounted a quad bike as too big. I am thinking about buying an electric winch, but that will be only a partial solution as the drive has a bend.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I would prefer something vintage, but reliable if possible.

sean

charlie
    Keymaster

A number of two wheeled garden tractors had a front mounted barrow or load carrier attachment, a couple of photos are in the website gallery.
    Mayfield
    Merry Tiller
    Other machines with similar attachments include Barford Atom and Monro Tiller.
    Most of these machines are easy enough to find, the attachments are not so common though. It would not be too difficult to fabricate one.
    Alternatively a trailer could be attached.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

I have a Ransomes Turf Trak four wheeled mini tractor fitted with a front loader which I use for carrying things up and down our drive particularly the wheelie bins which I can take two at a time.A lawn tractor with the deck removed is a useful tow tool.

stuart
    Participant

A Merry Tiller with a 5cwt truck would be ideal.The MT (with wheels fitted instead of the rotors) fits on a turntable and makes the truck very manouverable.Do a search on Google.I just sold mine a few months ago.

dorigny
    Participant

Or how about tracking down a Muck Truck.? A recent/current machine and not vintage, I know, but an early one would now be quite a classic. Sold at first as the Allen Sherpa and Bizzy? barrow before being sold directly from Deesign, the designer, and currently by Muck Truck.

C.

vhgmcbuddy

I have a Merry Tiller that needs a bit of work, so I will use that and attempt to fabricate something.

sean

charlie
    Keymaster

I am sure if you need dimensions of front load carrier someone with one could measure it for you.

vhgmcbuddy

That would be good and I would be grateful.

sean

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.