A change of diet,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    hillsider
    Participant

This may not be strictly horticultural but as it is 47 years old and the carb was made by Villiers I thought you may be interested to see what I have been sorting out a few problems on. The machine is a British Seagull model Forty Plus Long shaft outboard motor.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Ray, like you say the Villiers carb is similar to one I saw last week. Do you have the deflector which normally fits on the end to stop sea water entering in a storm.

hillsider
    Participant

No, this one is fitted with the plastic inlet that is screwed onto the carb body. The storm shield that you refer to s still available but not fitted the case of this engine.
    Would you believe the engine on this beast was designed to run on a 10:1 fuel mix I guess smoke and oil pollution was not too high on the agenda back when these engines were designed, there are conversion kits available to bring the ratio down to 25:1 but not fitted to this engine as it will not get much use and the oily mix has done a great job of preserving it so why mess with a working formula.

http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk

Follow the link above to a site that is very helpful and shows a great deal of information about these lovely old machines

vhgmcbuddy

Ray, just had a good look at the seagull site. Lots of info there ,and when I got to the section about Mr J Marsden I can now see more than one connection why you put this on. In my opinion with the man starting Villiers engines off,none of us would have what we have collected and cherished without him

hillsider
    Participant

Well spotted John, I had not read that bit of the site until just now.

wristpin
    Participant

I had – you sent it to me!
    The Villiers/Sunbeam/Seagull relationship just goes to show how things evolved but are now just taken at face value.

vhgmcbuddy

The quality back then, good looking outboard Ray. I recon you might have seen the link below, I liked the technical part.

http://www.britishseagull.co.uk/index.php

hillsider
    Participant

The materials used were certainly better quality than some some of those in use today, this is the second Seagull that I have returned to good health this year.
    It made a change from the normal diet of small engines, it was a long time since I had last worked on a Seagull, we used them at work many moons ago on work boats around the Port and of course they came into the workshop for repairs.
    Back then you could go into the local Marine Chandlers shops here and get almost everything Seagull off the shelf that is no longer the case though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.